environMAN - Integrated Management System (IMS)
Datacenter infrastructure management (DCIM) is the integration of information technology (IT) and facility management disciplines to centralize monitoring, management and capacity planning of a data center's critical systems. Achieved through the implementation of specialized software, hardware and sensors, DCIM will enable a common, real-time monitoring and management platform for all interdependent systems across IT and facility infrastructures.
Key Reasons of Utilizing DCiM
1) Efficiency - The biggest driver, far and away, for the use of DCIM is efficiency. Two major features of DCIM, power and temperature monitoring, have huge consequences in terms of energy savings. By knowing where and how much power is being used, data center operators are given a wealth of information with which to find the best solution (whether it be updating equipment or identifying unused servers) to reduce electricity consumption. And through temperature sensors and automated responses in DCIM solutions, companies can also adjust cooling based on dynamic loads as opposed to always cooling for the maximum load. The possibilities
for increased efficiencies are expansive and diverse and the most readily agreed
upon benefit and driver for DCIM.
2) ASHRAE Standards - The organization’s allowance for higher inlet temperatures means the time to overheat is less, so monitoring and alerts will be even more crucial as the wiggle room in temperature fluctuations decrease
3) Cost Reporting - DCIM tools allow companies and colocation providers to assign costs to departments or customers by monitoring server use and power consumption.
4) Capacity Planning - Knowing what power and cooling is available for each rack can help a data center not only maximize its current space, but also have an understanding of its pipeline of future equipment needs.
5) Increased Personnel Efficiency - The infrastructure management, monitoring, and alarm features of DCIM helps to identify and find failing equipment without a staff member spending hours uncovering where and what the issue is. The automation provided by advanced DCIM equipment to adjust temperatures and track status information saves significant staff time